
Dean Cox (L), coach of the Sydney Swans and Callum Mills speak to the media during a Sydney Swans AFL press conference in Sydney, Australia, on Aug. 21, 2026. Darrian Traynor/Getty Images
Despite the crisis that has mangled their celebrated Bloods Culture, Sydney captain Callum Mills says there is no rift at the Swans.
An emotional and shaken Mills fronted the media on Aug. 21 alongside coach Dean Cox, five days after the scandal erupted from a Melbourne hotel room.
Five AFL teammates—Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice—have been suspended for the rest of the season for breaching club standards. There are sexual assault allegations and a police investigation is ongoing.
Earlier this week, club Chairman Andrew Pridham bluntly acknowledged the suspensions had “torpedoed” their AFL premiership hopes this season.
In the midst of the unfolding debacle, on Aug. 23 the Swans will have an historic double-header at the SCG featuring their AFL and AFLW teams.
“There’s pain, there’s sadness, there’s disappointment. We’re going to bind together to be better for this,” Mills told reporters.
“There’s not a rift within the group. Our club has taken a massive hit with its culture.
“We just take every day in its stride. Everyone’s going to be feeling every different emotion, but we‘ll work together and we’ll stay together.
Mills added he had spoken with teammates and had addressed the Swans AFLW team this week.
“I acknowledge their pain and I deeply … I apologise for the actions of a few within our group,” Mills said.
“We believe that the five players have let us down and we believe we’ll be doing everything we possibly can to repay the respect and the trust of the community.”
Mills urged fans to support the Swans on Aug. 21, especially the women’s team.
“It’s an historic weekend for our football club … while this has overshadowed it, I think it’s an incredible, powerful moment that we come together and we celebrate that moment of the AFLW program, out on the SCG,” he said.
Mills said the time could come when the five suspended players front their teammates.
Meanwhile, the captain said football was secondary. He strongly backed the suspensions and stressed his respect for all women.
“I’m deeply shocked and disappointed to be here,” he said.
“We take full responsibility and we are deeply sorry.
“What this has caused is for us to put the mirror up—all men within society and all men within the club. We need to do better.”
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028
By Roger Vaughan in Melbourne
