Home Canada Competition Bureau Seeks to Block Nortera Deal for Green Giant and Le Sieur Brands
CanadaWorld News

Competition Bureau Seeks to Block Nortera Deal for Green Giant and Le Sieur Brands

Share
competition-bureau-seeks-to-block-nortera-deal-for-green-giant-and-le-sieur-brands
Competition Bureau Seeks to Block Nortera Deal for Green Giant and Le Sieur Brands
Share
Competition Bureau Seeks to Block Nortera Deal for Green Giant and Le Sieur Brands

The Competition Bureau logo is shown in Gatineau, Que., on Jan. 29, 2026. The Canadian Press/Justin Tang

The Competition Bureau is seeking to block Nortera Foods’ proposed deal to buy the Green Giant and Le Sieur brands of canned and frozen vegetables in Canada from U.S.-based B&G Foods.

Nortera is already Canada’s dominant processor of certain canned and frozen vegetables under the Del Monte and Arctic Gardens brands, the bureau said.

It has also been the exclusive producer of Green Giant and Le Sieur in Canada for 30 years and announced in October 2025 a deal to buy the brands.

The agency said the deal to combine Nortera with its only major national brand competitor in an already highly concentrated market would lead to higher prices, fewer choices and less competition in the wholesale grocery supply.

“Green Giant and Le Sieur are important brands that Canadians are used to seeing on the shelves at the grocery store,” said Ariane Jaros-Denis, associate deputy commissioner of the mergers branch at the Competition Bureau, during a media briefing on Wednesday.

“They’re well-known brands, and B&G does compete aggressively against Nortera,” she said.

“The transaction would eliminate this competition between two important players in these markets and the markets for frozen and canned vegetables in Canada,” she added.

The bureau also fears the acquisition would make it difficult for newer businesses to enter the sector.

It has asked the Competition Tribunal to block the deal and prevent the companies from closing the transaction until the tribunal issues a decision.

Nortera said on Wednesday the proposed deal is in the country’s best interests, supporting the long-term viability of domestic vegetable production at a time when the industry faces heightened pressure from imports.

The Brossard, Que.-based company said it is reviewing the bureau’s position and remains in discussions with B&G Foods about the next steps.

The Competition Bureau has upped its scrutiny of the food supply chain as food affordability eroded during the bout of inflation after the COVID-19 pandemic.

Two years ago, the agency launched an investigation into the parent companies of grocery chains Loblaws and Sobeys for alleged anticompetitive conduct and property control clauses that limit retail grocery competition.

It also carried out a broader grocery market study in 2023 to determine how various levels of government could boost competition.

Share
Related Articles

Brazilian Police Say at Least 23 Killed in Minibus and Truck Crash

Brazilian police say at least 23 killed in minibus and truck crash....

Death Toll in Mine Collapse in Central African Republic Rises to More Than 100

The map shows the general location of an artisanal mine collapse in...

Minerals Council Vows to Fight Victorian Mining Fee Rises of Up to 400 Percent

Victorian Energy and Resources Minister Jaclyn Symes. She previously served as treasurer...

Wong to Summon Israeli Ambassador Over IDF Findings on Aid Worker’s Death

Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong has said Australia is “outraged” that the...