Home Europe At Least 16 Dead, Dozens Injured After Russian Strikes on Kyiv
EuropeGlobalRussia-Ukraine WarWorld News

At Least 16 Dead, Dozens Injured After Russian Strikes on Kyiv

Share
at-least-16-dead,-dozens-injured-after-russian-strikes-on-kyiv
At Least 16 Dead, Dozens Injured After Russian Strikes on Kyiv
Share
At Least 16 Dead, Dozens Injured After Russian Strikes on Kyiv

Residents sit in front of heavily damaged residential buildings after an overnight Russian attack, in Kyiv, Ukraine, on Aug. 20, 2026. Francisco Seco/AP Photo

A major Russian multi-weapon airstrike on Kyiv and the surrounding region killed 16 people and injured more than 40 overnight, with the Ukrainian leader calling for more missile interceptors.

In an Aug. 20 post on X, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the “massive attack” consisted of various ballistic and cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles “aiming to cause as much damage as possible to civilian infrastructure.”

He said that besides Kyiv, the regions of Odesa in the North and Chernihiv in the South were also targeted.

“In the capital, residential buildings were damaged, including a high-rise whose upper floors were destroyed, as well as a children’s hospital and a school,” Zelenskyy said.

He said that a drone attack had targeted a border crossing with Moldova in the Odesa region, and that gas infrastructure was targeted in Chernihiv.

The Russian Ministry of Defense said in an Aug. 20 Telegram post that overnight, it had struck a transport and logistics hub, military-industrial facilities, warehouses, and other targets in the capital and surrounding region.

Both Kyiv and Moscow say that they do not deliberately target civilians.

Zelenskyy Calls for Interceptors

The Ukrainian air force said Russia launched dozens of cruise, ballistic, and hypersonic missiles during the attack, as well as 168 drones.

The air force said that it had downed nearly 90 percent of the drones and most of the cruise missiles.

Zelenskyy has been calling for allies to supply Ukraine with more Patriot air defense interceptors, which are in short supply.

Earlier this month, Zelenskyy said that international partners have supplied just one-third of the missile interceptors sent to Kyiv so far this year compared with 2025.

The Ukrainian president wrote on X on Aug. 20 that Moscow is investing in ballistic missiles and is escalating attacks.

“As long as Ukraine does not have enough anti-ballistic defense, Russia will not consider peace seriously. We are doing everything to ensure we have that protection, and work on the FREYJA program continues every day,” he said, referencing the Ukrainian-led project to develop a European anti-ballistic missile system.

“But Patriot interceptors cannot yet be replaced, and we need them every day. Every additional missile saves the lives of our people. I thank everyone who understands this and is looking for and finding ways to help.”

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in an Aug. 20 post on X, in response to Zelenskyy’s post, that the European Union is working with member states and partners to “support Ukraine’s anti-ballistic capabilities,” calling it “the most urgent of priorities.”

U.S. President Donald Trump announced on July 8 that he would

grant

Kyiv a license to produce Patriot air defense systems.

However, in an interview with the Financial Times published on July 31, Trump

said

he was “not sure” whether to allow Ukraine to produce the Patriot missiles.

“It’s a very extraordinary weapon, and … we have to be a little bit careful of who we license to. We don’t really license equipment,” he said.

Zelenskyy said on Aug. 5 that he was in talks with NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte about the possibility of Kyiv obtaining additional air defense interceptors.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Share
Related Articles

Italy Blocks Germany’s First Illegal Immigrant Returns Under New EU Asylum Rules

Germany’s first bid in nearly four years to return illegal migrants to...

LeBlanc Returns to Washington as Trade Negotiations Continue Before Aug. 22 Deadline

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Chief Trade Negotiator Janice Charette speak...